Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ar, Matey!

Nothing like a good 'ol dose of public humiliation to keep me on my toes! Wacky Zacky, Zany Janie, and I were innocently going up and down the isles at Michaels. For my sanity, both kids were confined to the cart rather than running amok tearing down every craft item within their reach. Wacky Zacky was enthusiastically naming everything we passed, "Look Mommy a Lion!" "Look Mommy a flower!" "Look Mommy a picture!" This went on for several minutes and I was half listening when I heard the inflection in his voice change. He started shouting, "LOOK MOMMY A PIRATE!" We were in an isle with books and I figured he was excited about a pirate book. The shouting continued and I realized he was frantically trying to get my attention as he pointed down the isle. As I looked up a 75-year-old woman wearing an eye patch approached us smiling and said, "Why yes I do look like a pirate, don't I?" As if this wasn't embarrassing enough Wacky Zacky said "Ar, Matey!" as she passed!

Zany thought of the day: Typically after every dose of public humiliation I can think of 100 things I should have said or done. With this experience I am at a loss as to what I should have said. Any suggestions for when it happens again-oh yes, I do expect this will happen again!

6 comments:

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

No suggestions on what you should have done or could do in the future, but this is quite funny! Hopefully the old lady was laughing inside as much as I am.

Unknown said...

OMG! Totally and completely mortified! Hillarious! But I would be mortified. My child does not utter words yet but I'm sure I'll have stories to add to yours when he does...

Erika said...

My niece would do that to me when she was younger.

Sounds like the lady had a bit of humor, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

I can top that... My niece once yelled out "wow shes huge" when she saw a very large lady... And the lady heard her

CraftGirlAlli said...

hahaha...I couldn't help but laugh! It's cute, yet humiliating at the same time! I'm sure I'll get my dose of those moments once my little one starts forming words!

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

Hahahaahaha, I'm sorry...it's really not funny but I have to laugh. Out of the mouths of kids :-) Mine have done similar things and I know that feeling of wanting to crawl up in a ball and disappear, hehe.

BTW, I'm giving you a Kreativ Blogger award so stop by and pick it up when you get a chance!