Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year Resolutions

So it's 2009 and like thousands of others I've made my yearly list of New Year Resolutions. If the old saying is true that "a good indicator of future behavior is to look at past behavior", then I'm guessing a few of these resolutions will slip through the cracks come mid-February! Yes, I said a few, not all...In the past I have kept a few big ones including no fast food for a year and no caffeine. So to help me stick to my resolutions for 2009 I am going to list them here for all to see so I can be held more accountable.

1. Exercise: (I know, this is such a unique resolution and is rarely seen on people's lists) Do it regularly-at least three times per week and keep track of it on a calendar. I plan to put a big fat zero on the days I don't do it so I'm forced to see the times I was lazy. I'm thinking a red pen would be effective...
2. Spirituality: Over the past couple of years I have found that I do not feel centered. I need to work on my connection on a daily basis. I will read books and meditate more regularly.
3. Journal: I keep a journal of all the silly things the kids do and things I don't want to forget. It is multipurpose-it helps me when I go to scrapbook an event that took place 2 years ago and it's something that I hope the kids will cherish when they are older.
4. Friends: Since moving a little over a year ago I have met several people, but don't have a group of close friends that I hang out with on a regular basis. I have a shy personality and I have to really work on forcing myself to go out and open up to people. So I will reach out more to friends.
5. Patience: I will work on being more patient-especially with the kids. Several people have commented in the past that I am one of the most patient people they have met. I feel like last year I have had a difficult time being as patient and I want to get back to being and feeling more calm. I will practice deep breathing, meditating, and focusing in the here-and-now.

So that's my list minus the general ones of being healthier and an overall better person. We shall see what happens as "actions speak louder than words". I wish you all good luck on keeping your resolutions and I hope you have a wonderful 2009!

4 comments:

storybeader said...

I can't believe that you're a shy person! Think of all the Etsybloggers you've met! Even though we don't hang together, I feel that you are a new friend!

Shell Mitchell said...

I will be doing the exersize with you and I'm stealing your red pen idea!

Andrea said...

I know how you feel about the friends. We move all the time (every year or so) and I'm shy too so it's hard to meet people. Maybe we can motivate each other on this issue.

Good luck with your resolutions and happy New Year!

Patti said...

You've chosen some very wise resolutions. Even if you don't keep them all (past February 1), you will have made progress and, after all, it's progress, not perfection that's important!