Tuesday, July 13, 2010

One Fish, Two Fish...

Thanks to Aunt Ju Ju and Uncle Boo Boo we were able to sign Zany Janie and Wacky Zacky up for private swimming lessons.  Today was their first session and I had no idea what to expect.  All I knew was that someone named Kyle, whom I assumed would be a kid, was going to have the pleasure of wrangling my two Zany fish for half an hour while I got to sit back on the sidelines and watch.  The morning started off with cheers that today was finally the day they would start their swim lessons.  As we began packing up the car to head to the pool Zany Janie and Wacky Zacky were cheering/shrieking "Kyle!  Kyle!  Kyle!" with as much enthusiasm as a chimpanzee house at feeding time.  The cheer continued on our way to the pool with other random words thrown in for good measure:  "Kyle!  Yeah!  Kyle!  Pool!  Poop!"  I think it may be close to impossible for those two to go over two minutes without saying the word "Poop".  It's wonderful when you are trying to have a serious conversation with them! 

But, back to the story-"Kyle!  Kyle!  Kyle!"  On and on it went until we got to the pool and thankfully the cheers stopped.  We go in and the infamous Kyle comes up to us and asks if this is Zany Janie and Wacky Zacky.  He attempts to engage the two in a conversation and it's like a switch has been turned off and they are silent.  If only he knew what was going on not 15 minutes ago!  They get into the pool and begin their first ever swim lessons.  I was happy when he took one look at them in the water and bypassed the bubble blowing drills and went right to the beginning stages of back stroke and freestyle.  The kids were a lot braver than I thought they would be and I think I was the most anxious one of the bunch as I sat pool side and watched my two babies in the water without their life vests.  I must admit Kyle lived up to all the hoopla the kids had given him, because he wrangled them like a pro-the kids remained calm and followed all of his instructions.  There were only a few times that Zany Janie caught him off guard and smacked him in the face as she tried to use both arms to do a stroke rather than alternate them.

At the end of practice Kyle pointed to the starter blocks and asked Zany Janie and Wacky Zacky if they wanted to jump off of them.  I tried to refrain from a giggle as I thought , "Yeah right!  Fat chance they are going to get up there and jump!"  Then both kids nodded yes quickly, got out of the water, climbed up on the block, and jumped!  I was so impressed I had to refrain from jumping up and cheering "Kyle!  Kyle!  Kyle!"  That would have really been embarrassing!

No comments: