Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pinching Pennies by Pureeing!

Once again I have found myself doing something I thought I'd never do.  You may want to sit down for this one...I am actually making my own baby food!  For those of you that don't know me, you might shrug your shoulders and say, "So, what's the big deal?"  The big deal is I don't like to cook at all!  Silly Jilly is baby number three and my first two seemed to survive eating Gerber's Brand baby food.  So why the decision to make my own baby food?  Unfortunately the main reason isn't because I want to keep from putting preservatives and additives into my baby's mouth-I know if I gave her the store bought food she'd be fine, I have living proof of that standing before me in Wacky Zacky and Zany Janie.  Nor is the number one reason because I want to reduce waste.  Even though it's a good reason especially when my little one can plow through two jars in one sitting.  The number one reason that has gotten me into the dreaded kitchen boils down to saving money.  Yes, I am one of those people who is easily motivated by making money and saving money.  So when I first started buying baby food for Silly Jilly and was reminded of the price I started looking into other options.  I found a wonderful website, Wholesome Baby Food, that stepped me through the process of making my own baby food.  It is so easy and so much cheaper!

Step One:  Purchase IN SEASON fruits or veggies.


Step Two:  Peel/core/cut food into chunks and steam


Step three:  Puree food and add water to needed consistency


Step four:  Store in fridge or ice cube trays to freeze.


Step Six:  Watch your happy baby gobble up the food you made.


Zany thought of the day:  What's your favorite baby food combo?

No comments: