Monday, June 27, 2011

She is one of my favorite things!

Over the weekend Zany Janie was in her first ever Ballet recital.  I can't believe how much she adores ballet.  She seems to live and breath it.  She prefers to read books about ballet, she adores the Angelina Ballerina movies, and she even has several ballet dolls.  She has been looking forward to the dance recital since she first laid eyes on a picture of her costume.

The closer the date of her recital, the more excited Zany Janie became and the more anxious I became.  I am a mom that does not have good hair styling skills.  I somehow managed to put her hair in a bun for class, but by the end of class most of it was falling in her face.  I was also directed to put make-up on her-not too light or her face would be washed out in the lights, but not too dark that she looked like a clown.  Hmmm...That's a fine line for a 4-year-old.  Add just a touch of color and it quickly begins to look over the top and a bit "Toddlers and Tiaras".

Thank goodness she had a dress rehearsal so I could work out the kinks with her hair and make-up.  I am proud to say her hair remained in a tight bun for both her dress rehearsal and her actual recital.  My late 80's big hair style phase actually came in handy-I had experience with Aqua Net and knew how to use it's powers.

Some may say I can't be unbiased since she is my daughter, but I think she was absolutely beautiful! 



She did a great job at the dress rehearsal.  I was so proud of her.  She loved the audience and put 100% into her performance.  Then the next day (Friday) she woke up with a high fever!  Cootie bugs had been circulating throughout our house for the past week and a half and somehow Zany Janie had managed to fight them off, but even the feistiest come down with something from time to time.  She was determined to perform on Saturday.  She rested and did her best to get better. 

Saturday morning her fever fluctuated from 100 to 102.8!  She continued to state she would perform.  Despite not eating for two days and feeling horrible she was determined enough to get through the performance.  Before you think I am a horrible mother, I will say her fever did go down to 98.9 right before we left for her recital.  She remained backstage throughout the whole show so I couldn't check in with her.  I did pack snacks for her and hoped she would eat something so she wouldn't pass out.  Then the moment finally came.  She did her whole dance to "My Favorite Things", putting 100% into it, and looked like she loved every second of it.


I cannot express the feelings I felt when I saw her on stage.  I'm guessing most parents feel the same way.  I was so proud of her!  I couldn't believe how beautiful she looked!  And I couldn't even begin to imagine how she could be enjoying performing in front of a hundred complete strangers!  In that aspect she is the complete opposite of me!  She is a performer!


After the bows, the curtain closed, the music stopped, and Zany Janie passed out!  Just kidding!  She held it together until I got her and then she could hold it together no longer.  By the time we got home her temperature had shot up to 103.2 and she was beyond exhausted.  I felt bad for her, but there was no way she would have let us keep her home and miss the performance. 

Later that night Zany Janie began complaining  and questioning why she was not able to go on stage and do a solo.  That girl is a true performer.  She also got to experience first hand what it means when they say "The show must go on!"

Zany thought of the day:  Try to listen to "My Favorite Things" no less than 70 times and see if you can possibly get "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens; Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens; Brown paper packages tied up with strings; These are a few of my favorite things" out of your head.  Come on try it.  You know you want to!

1 comment:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Yes your little one looks so abeautiful
Cheers from India
Dr Sonia
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com